Tuesday 23 June 2009

Regular running is good for you


More research from the Stanford University School of Medicine that has tracked 500 older runners for more than 20 years. Elderly runners have fewer disabilities, a longer span of active life and are half as likely as aging nonrunners to die early deaths, the research found. I am a regular runner of course but the study fails to point out that you also get more injuries! Said with feeling after falling over 100 yards before the end of the Jane Tomlinson 10k at the weekend. Most embarrassing as 11,000 runners and about a thousand people and TV cameras at the finish line! That is me minus glasses (shattered), blood gushing over the steps and bruised ribs. I did finally finish before the chicken and 2 Gorillas..

3 comments:

David Stillwagon said...

Barrie,
I used to run and loved it before my health issues put a stop to it.

Anonymous said...

Great to see you picked yourself up young man. RMcCann

Barrie Hopson said...

Actually I was picked up by a policeman and first aider but who wants to be pedantic!I did walk the final 100mtrs to huge applause and lovely ladies kept giving me wet wipes to help with the blood. At least I think that was why they were throwing them at me...